Sunday, May 1, 2011

I'm 18 and thinking of going into experimental psychology. Help

I'm 18 and thinking of going into experimental psychology. Help?
I have applied for nursing in university and have been offered admission, but I have not yet accepted. I don't really think that nursing is for me, although both my parents are really pushing me towards it. For some time now, I have been thinking about going into psychology, and more specifically, into experimental psychology. However, I have a few questions. 1) How much can an experimental psychologist expect to make in Ontario? 2)What education is needed? (I have heard that you need 4 yrs in just psychology and then a masters and possibly a doctorate degree?) 3) What are the career options? 4) Are there a lot of career options? i.e. will i be able to get a job? 5) How competitive is this field? 6) For those who have had experience with experimental psychology, what is it like? (in general) 7) I have heard that there is some negative criticism regarding this field. Can anyone tell me more about this? 8) What schools in Ontario (or in Canada) are good for psychology? I would really (really, really , really) appreciate any and all information anyone has on this (even if they don't specifically pertain to my questions asked above) especially if you personally have pursued this career, or if you happen to be an experimental psychologist, or know someone who is. I'm just really concerned about university at this point. I have no idea what I want to do, and right now, this is what i am interested in. I have not applied for psychology in university, but I may go into nursing and then switch into a psychology program. (They let you do that right?) I know that I have asked a lot of questions. Again, any and all answers you may have are deeply and completely appreciated. Thank you!!!
Psychology - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
yesss
2 :
First convert your dreams into reality. I mean first become a full-fledged psychologist. After that, one by one gradually, you will be able to come to know about everything step-by-step. It is difficult to guess. Unless one has far-sightedness, one cannot visualize about distant future.
3 :
1. Not sure exactly about Canada but in America they make pretty good money. 2. You will need a graduate degree for most jobs, a doctorate is preferable. 3. Many options. You could work in a school (as a teacher or a school psychologist), in a research firm, or on your own. 4. Economy is bad for everyone so all jobs are harder to find, but eventually you will be able to find one. 5. Psychology is a fairly competitive field as it is a popular major. 6. It is basically what it sounds. Trying to learn new things about psychology by doing experiments and tests. 7. All psychology fields are controversial people agree and disagree with all kinds of stuff, don't worry about it. 8. Can't answer this. Your best option is to just look around and see what schools have programs that look solid and interesting.
4 :
I went to college in Milwaukee in experimental psych., also clinical, but are you sure you want to get a doctorate and then live the life of a scientist? Almost all work for a university. And, nobody who does it likes their job. Clinical is okay. Nursing is cash. Psych pays less. Also consider the MSW, Master of Social Welfare, which is only a year or two after college, because there are actually JOBS in it. Nobody wants someone with an education in experimental psych. Prof. John Schlitz Kitchin, psychologist, Milwaukee Free University


Read more discussion :