Thursday, May 7, 2009

If I graduate from a nursing school in Canada, is it possible to work in Canada after wards

If I graduate from a nursing school in Canada, is it possible to work in Canada after wards?
I'm from the US and I am currently attending a community college. I plan to transfer to a 4-year to earn my degree in Nursing and then go to Medical School. I was considering a school out of the US and I am comfortable with Canada. If I end up wanting to stay in Canada and work, is it possible after I earn my degree? Or do I have to go back to the states and apply for citizenship. Thanks! I wanted to work as an emergency nurse before going to medical school to study emergency medicine.
Higher Education (University +) - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
After Nursing school? Do you mean after Medical school? Or are you planning on a gap between the two. You will have to find a job pretty quickly, preferably while you are still in school, then have your student visa transferred over to a work one. Yes, that is very possible. But there is a certain amount of time (which is different for every country) that you can stay after graduation to find a job, and in some countries there are programs that you an apply into that will allow you to stay longer and not be sponsored. That information will all be on the International page on the website of the school that you are looking to attend. You do not just apply for citizenship! You must remain in the country working (not while you are in school) for whatever period of time they designate, which is usually five years. Then you will follow the rest of the guidelines and take the test for citizenship. It is not exactly that simple but you have quite a while before worrying about that as you cannot start maintaining your residency while you are in school.
2 :
If you are in Canada on a student visa you will have to retrun home in order to apply for a work visa so you can work legally in Canada. You should be aware that as a foreign student you will pay double the tuition fees for any school in Canada. I have one question. If you are planning on going to medical school to become a doctor, why are you bothering with nursing school? Nursing school is not a step towards becoming a doctor and education wise you will have to start back at square one. You will not be able to work as a nurse while in medical school as medical school is very demanding.You will also be taking up a space in a nursing school that could be occupied by someone who wants to be a nurse. best of luck.



 Read more discussion :