Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Many, many questions about Nova Scotia

Many, many questions about Nova Scotia?
My husband and I have been considering moving to Canada. My husband has two associate degrees and will have certifications in A+, and Networking and Security (computer related). By the time we move, he will also be Microsoft Certified, among other things. I will be most likely changing my degree to Nursing, or some other career in the medical field. I have been looking into provinces, and found that Nova Scotia is very appealing: the weather, the sights, etc. Questions: Would my husband be able to find computer work there? Is Nova Scotia one of the safer provinces to live (for a family)? (^Crime rate and etc) Do taxes vary by province? My mother is a thief; she has stolen my college money and opened credit cards in my name...I will hopefully have a lot of that straightened out by the time we move, but will my credit follow me to Canada? It truly was identify theft; her and my dad have a drinking problem, or will they even let me enter Canada if some of it is left unresolved? I know it sounds silly, but gathering information to move is both scary, difficult, and exciting. Would we have to renounce citizenship of America? I have been spending the past few days trying to write down questions and look up the answers; but, it is nice to ask someone who is Canadian, or Americans who have moved to Canada. Please share your stories about living in Canada versus the U.S., or if you have lived in more than one province, please share your experiences. Thanks so much! -Sydney
Other - Canada - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Moving to Canada under the skilled worker class of immigration is a long-term goal - you will (at least one of you) need to get enough education and work experience to pass the screening test in the first link. (Note that associate's degrees and technical certifications don't count for much here, in comparison to bachelor's degrees and registration as an RN.) Because it's going to be at least several years before you're qualified to start applying as skilled workers, you might also find it useful to study French while you're working on the other points. You can also work on saving money to help you get set up, can familiarize yourself with your planned destination including visiting and getting contacts with prospective employers, and can get your credit records cleared up. Nova Scotia, like the rest of Canada, has less violent crime than the USA. I don't think that will be an issue for you at all. Yes, both sales taxes and income taxes vary by province. The way the citizenship process works is that after you're approved to immigrate as a permanent resident, after you live in Canada as a permanent resident for three years, you can take the Citizenship Test. After you pass, you can take the oath of citizenship. Canada does not require you to renounce other citizenships. The USA doesn't automatically revoke your citizenship either, so you can maintain both and carry both passports. I've lived in both Canada and the USA, have lived in more than one province, and have spent time with friends and family members in other provinces. Nova Scotia has one large metropolitan area (Halifax) as well as smaller cities, towns, and rural areas. It currently has an NDP (left-wing) provincial government. It has several very good universities, and many people from other provinces and countries go to Nova Scotia to attend university. I have always enjoyed spending time there. Good luck with your dreams!
2 :
I grew up in Toronto and southern Ontario, have lived in BC for 30 years and recently have been considering moving to Nova Scotia. I would certainly go there rather than back to Ontario but BC remains my first choice because I like the climate. I have been there a couple of times and it has a lot to offer in terms of general lifestyle. Maritimers have a Canada-wide reputation for being friendly down-to-earth people, and I found them so. "The Maritimes" refers to all the provinces east of Quebec. If you can find a decent job, the house prices are quite reasonable. Some of the scenery is wonderful but the winter weather can be a bit tough, depending what you're used to. Crime rates are low in Nova Scotia even by Canadian standards except right in Halifax; I had occasion to check them recently. You can go to Statistics Canada and look. I think your credit record will follow you. Whether or not it will have an effect on your qualifying to immigrate, that's something you should specifically ask of the Canadian immigration department. Taxes vary by province, but not so you'd really notice. Income tax has a federal and a provincial component, the federal being larger, and we have point of purchase sales tax on many goods. And then, of course, your medical insurance is guaranteed to be much cheaper in Canada. It varies by province; in some you pay a monthly fee, in some you don't. Here in BC it's $54 a month for one person making a decent wage but can be lower if you make less. Many people get extra coverage, for things the provincial plans don't cover, through their job. Mortgage interest on your home is not deductible in Canada, but you never pay capital gains tax on any gain from selling a principal residence.
3 :
I'm just going to answer a few questions there that weren't entirely hit on. Yes, you're stuck with your credit, even in Canada! I'm also not sure if it will affect your immigration though (I know there is some 'proof of income/finances' type things required, but I'm not sure if they need a good credit rating). It takes a good while to become a citizen of Canada, but even then you wouldn't have to give up your American citizenship - you can have dual US/Canada citizenship - but if I remember correctly, you can only have one of the passports (under the US side of the law).


Read more discussion :