Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Should we go back to the hospital

Should we go back to the hospital?
I spent the night in Children's Hospital 45 minutes away from home with my 11 month old from Sunday night to Monday morning. He had spiked at 104 degree fever and was diagnosed with croup. They sent him home because I was able to finally get him to nurse. However, this morning, I gave him a shot of Motrin because he woke up at 8am with a 100.4 degree fever, and I took his temp again now (10am) and it's up to 101.6. he's still very uncomfortable, cranky, clingy, warm, and although his cough no longer sounds barky, it still sound like it hurts him, and I can't get him to nurse or take pedialyte anymore. We also got him a cool-mist humidifier, which helped him to sleep through the night last night, but now I'm worried about his rising fever today. I've tried calling our Provincial (I'm in Canada) Health Line, and the wait for someone to call back is 8 hours, due to H1N1 concerns. Also, our family doctor's office is closed until tomorrow, and the Pediatrician's office can't get him until tomorrow morning. I can't take him to a walk-in clinic, because my family doctor will kick us out of the practice if we do, because he and 31 other doctors in the city run an after-hours clinic, but it doesn't open for another 7 hours. Should I take him back to the hospital?
Newborn & Baby - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
does your pediatricians office not have an after-hours emergency number?? it should and you should call if they don't use your intuition-- if you think he can make it another 7 hours take him to the clinic if you don't take him to the hospital-- trust your gut-- mommies know their kids better than any doctor good luck and I hope he feels better soon.
2 :
If his fever is spiking and he's refusing to take any fluids, get back to the hospital before he gets too dehydrated. Good luck.
3 :
If the motrin will take his fever down for at least a few hours, I would wait for another 7 hours. If the motrin will not take it down, you should take him to the doctor. A fever if it gets very high can cause damage to the brain.
4 :
Of course you should take him back to the hospital.
5 :
yes I would. you said your son is not vaccinated and I hope the hospital knows that because your doctors are not taking you very seriously.
6 :
Back to the hospital



Read more discussion :