Monday, February 1, 2010

Gap year opportunities

Gap year opportunities?
Ok so I'm in my 1st-3rd (taking different classes in each year because I fell behind) year of a nursing degree in Canada. Its a 4 year program. I'll have 3 more years to go after this as I have been part time. Lately life has been unbelievably stressful, breakups in long term relationships, all of my friends have moved, some out of province some hours away. I feel very alone, depressed, over all not happy with my life. School is such an extra stress on me, as I am really struggling to get through. For the last three years I've worked my ass off and feel like I've come out with nothing. I just want a break from it all. I have enough nursing and clinical skills to really make a difference somewhere just no degree as of yet to show it. I want to just take next year off, go over seas somewhere and volunteer doing some sort of health care or peacekeeping work, maybe work with HIV/AIDs patients. I just need a reality check to just get out there and help those who need it and just leave my now life behind and come back with a new perspective on life. Only problem is I cannot seem to find any organizations who would allow for this... I see many that require a degree, or make you pay literally thousands of dollars to volunteer, or a few that want teachers aids, but thats not really my thing. Wondering if anyone knows of good volunteer opertunities like the ones I mentioned above, maybe an organization that would train you, for the nessisary tasks that I can now do but am not officailly "quilified" for?
Studying Abroad - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Check with your church to find out about mission work. Before you do, however, maybe consider why you are running away from your problems. It may be that you are being called to do good in the world, or it may be that you can't face what is going on in your life. Your plan won't work if it is the latter ... you will return to the same misery that you are taking a break from.


Read more discussion :