Tuesday, June 1, 2010

What do I do if I get my bachelor of science degree in biology

What do I do if I get my bachelor of science degree in biology?
I read one answer: "A lot of people do professional degrees after bachelors in bio, like - medicine - dentistry - masters / Ph.D - occupationa/physical therapy - nursing etc" So, what I'm asking is that in order to become a doctor, pharmacist, dentist, etc, do you need a degree in biology first, and then move onto ______ to become one? What do I do exactly with this degree once I get it? I'm still in high school, but will go to university next year to study biology (undergrad). I would like to be a pharmacist, or something along those lines, and just want to make sure I'm heading in the right direction. p.s. I live in Canada if that helps...
Higher Education (University +) - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You do not need a degree in biology to go to a school for medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, nursing, physical therapy or occupational therapy. You will need a degree in a biological-related science if you want to do a masters degree or Ph.D in a biological science. For example, if you want to do a Ph.D in genetics, it will help to first have a bachelor's in molecular biology or biotechnology. So why is it that so many doctors, dentists, pharmacists do their undergraduate degree in biology? Because many of the prerequisite courses for medical school are courses one would take while working on a bachelor's degree in biology. In order to get into medical school, you will need the following: i. a bachelor's degree (in any field). ii. two semesters of biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, physics. iii. a good score on the MCAT (it's the SAT for medical school). Also, many medical schools would like you to take biochemistry and 2 other upper division biological sciences (Genetics and Molecular biology). By the time you've taken all the courses you need to go to medical school, you are half-way done with a degree in biology, so it's easier to just finish the degree in biology than to switch over and do a degree in business. By the way, for Pharmacy you need the same courses as for medical school, but you also need to take Calculus, Anatomy and Physiology. As for nursing and physical/occupational therapy--these are bachelor's degree programs in themselves. If you want to work in either of these professions, you would do these programs instead of a biology degree.


Read more discussion :